The first foreigner album I've ever listened to
By Volleyball luver 2000
One of my favorite foreigner albums
We love it
Great Album…but iTunes is flogging us
This is a really a great album. The best cuts are the ones you didn’t hear on the radio. I strongly recommend. BUT….come on iTunes! Why do you have to bend over your customers? I can get this same album from amazon for $3. Uncool. Greedy.
Great great record
There is some great music here. I recommend all the tracks on here, because they are all great. I liked all the songs on here because they were all equally as great, but if you only want a few songs, buy "Juke Box Hero," "Waiting For A Girl Like You," "Urgent," and "Woman In Black." Great music!
The group's finest...
You may see 'Waiting For A Girl Like You' and 'Urgent' and think "Agh! Too pop!" Well, don't. Simply, the whole album is awesome!
The first record I ever bought, still love it to this day.
$10 on iTunes or $3 at Wal-Mart?
By Hit Hater
I am with Darian80 on this one. If you think this is Foreigner's best album, then you probably think Springsteen's Born in the USA is his best album. Both of these albums had huge success with monster hits but don't be fooled by the gruel that record companies and radio stations feed you. Go deeper and discover Foreigner's first two albums which are surf and turf not gruel with a couple of cherries in it. Yes, I know these were their most successful albums according to sales. McDonalds sells more food than any other restaurant but that doesn't mean they have the best food.
By R.A.G. oldies fan
What a great album this is. I mean, it's not like the other three before before it weren't brilliant, but this one is undoubtably their best. But it's not just the hit singles Urgent, Juke Box Hero, and I've Been Waiting for a Girl Like You, there are a lot of other incredible ones on here. The opening track, Night Life, is a great opener and sets the tone for the rest of the record, but just as a warning, it gets annoying if you listen to it too much. I'm Gonna Win is a great, dramatic track, and perhaps one of their best non-hit songs, as are Don't Let Go and Girl on the Moon, the latter being one of their most underrated songs. Luanne is also a good track but a bit repetitive and similar to some of their other previous ballads. Break it Up is perhaps the beginning of the sounds that are featured on Agent Provacatuer and Inside Information. Woman in Black is one of the weaker tracks on here but is still very good. In spite of my finicky nature, I can't say there really is a single filler on this, and it is arguably the definitive album of the early 80s. Just buy it!!!. What do you have to lose, after having this for a year, you will have all the proof you need that nearly all of today's popular hard rock bands are just a bunch of wannabes. I don't usually ever write a song by song overview, but that is just what I'm going to do.
1. Night Life. The heavy, tough as nails opener. The theme of the song seems to break the rest of the album open. It has a great guitar part and Lou Gramm at his shouting best. Only drawback is that the vocals are just slightly annoying at points. Still 9/10.
2. Juke Box Hero. One of the biggest, if not Foreigner's biggest hit. It's got killer guitar rifts and another screaming performance from Gramm that again hurts your ears at points. In spite of its success, I think it is a bit overrated. Still good enough for 10/10.
3. Break It Up. One of Foreigner's most underrated tracks, and one that should have been a bigger hit than it was. Perhaps cause there was so many other good songs on here. I love the minor key dramatic melody, and Lou Gramm gives one of his timeless vocal performances. The vocals perfectly capture the mood of the song. 10/10.
4. Waiting For a Girl Like You. The most overrated song on this album. The keyboards are briliant, but still the melodyi is a bit boring. Still, another great vocal performance by Gramm, full of passion and tenderness. 9/10.
5. Luanne. A very good album track. With its teenage theme, it sounds like it could have come straight off of their previous album Head Games. 9/10.
6. Urgent. One of Foreigner's absolute best songs, period. The tension of the minor key guitar and Gramm's passionate singing make this one a classic. 10/10.
7. I'm Gonna Win. A totally underrated song, a killer vocal and dramatic theme, with Gramm screaming of his refusal to give up on life serving as a serious pump-up. 10/10.
8. Woman In Black. Probably the album's worst song, but still great (that shows how good this album is!). A young man mesmorised by an attractive young woman in the dark. A sense of pleaing. 9/10.
9. Girl on the Moon. Another tender ballad that is overshadowed by Waiting For A Girl Like You, but I think it is just as good, if not better. One of Foreigner's most overlooked gems. 9.5/10.
10. Don't Let Go. This is a nice song, but it just fails to stand out. Sounds like Break It Up and Luanne mixed together. Still though, it is another solid album track worthy of 9/10.
One of the best albums ever
By God of Thunder
I LOVE Foreigner. They are truly one of the best bands of all time, and this album is their best album. It goe sdown on my list of 80's albums you must own, and truly has got ot be one of the best rock albums of all time. Truly a great band in the prime of their career.
1. Night Life: A fun, hard-rockin' song about late night parties and dances. Great way to kick off the album. 8/10
2. Juke Box Hero: WOW! Who would have thought Foreigner could be HEAVY? Previous heavy songs like "Dirty White Boy" were not believeable to me. They sold me on this song. This was the song that made me a Foreigner fan, it still holds up as my favorite Foreigner song, and it is unquestionably the highlight of their live show. It's a mistake when they don't end with this song and end with the vastly inferior "Hot Blooded." 10/10
3. Break it up: God, I LOVE THIS SONG! It boggles my mind as to why this wasn't a huge hit like some other songs on this album. Lou Gramm's vocals are BRILLIANT! My god, could he have possibly sung it any better? This song is about a man who's desparate to mend his relationship with his girlfriend, and boy, there is desparation in Lou Gramm's voic eon this song. The production is brilliant, the lyris are brilliant, the backing vocals are brilliant,... This is my 2nd favorite song on the album. Why was this song only a minor hit? It's a GREAT song 10/10
4. Waiting For a Girl Like You: This is a very nice romantic ballad, dedicated to a new love in the person's life. To me, this is one of Foreigner's best ballads. Interestingly though the song was a big hit, they don't play it live anymore. The amazing thing about Foreigner is that they have so many hits, they can't play them all in 1 night. 10/10
5. Luanne: This song was a single, but I don't know why. IMO this is the weakest song on the album. Seems like filler to me. Decent song though. 7/10
6. Urgent: Everybody knows this song. You still hear it on the radio to this day.Very well-written, well-performed song. I love the saxophone solo. It's not easy to play and hold those high notes, so that was an impressive job by the saxophone player. It's even better when they do it live and have an extended sax solo. 10/10
7. I'm Gonna Win: I haven't listened to this song in a while, but it is a very good song. 8/10
8. Woman in Black: I LOVE this song! IMO this song is better than "Night Life," yet "Night Life" is the song that's on the greatest hits album and gets played live. Interesting. 10/10
9. Girl on the Moon. Another great ballad. It's a shame this song is ust an album track an dmost people don't know it. 10/10
10. Don't Let Go. Not one of the best songs on the album, but it's decent. 7.5/10.
The unplugged bonus songs, unfortunately, are a disappointment. Both songs are cut short, and the vocals are lackluster. This version of "Waiting For a Girl Like You" is worth listening to, but "Juke Box Hero" was never meant to be an unplugged tune, and this version does not do it justice ar all.
But, the actual album is a classic. You MUST get it