Great album and I'm not a hardcore fan of FM
Bought it 1990 just to have another disc to listen to on a long drive across America. I ended up loving this album. Freedom is the weakest track but the rest I love. I am a big fan of Christine McVie's vocals so for me this is the album that she carried. It was a little weird not hearing Buckingham on the cd and they give significant room for Burnette and Vito's vocals so it's not like they were just session players. After 3,000 miles of driving, this cd found its way in my rotation. It is 2017 and I still listen to it more than any other FM album.
Much Better than I First Thought
I didn't listen to this album, at first, because Lindsey wasn't there. I didn't think Rick could even come close to him, but I actually really learned to like all of the songs, however, I'm still partial to Lindsey.
But still a pretty good CD, his absence DOES NOT mean there isn't good material on here. Actually the funniest part if you think about it, is they replaced Lindsey with 2 guitarists. Tells you something doesn't it?
By Booman 1
There's a reason the band is called Fleetwood Mac. And Christine was part of the sound since 1970. Nothing more to say. If you are a real fan, this album is a "Do not Miss!"
Still a great Mac album
Just because Lindsey left doesn't mean the Mac couldnt' make great music and this album goes to show it. I have to disagree with those that say skip 8, 11, and 12. In all I like most of the album and most of the songs have great catch bets. In the Back of My Mind is probably my favourite with When it Comes to Love a close second.
If a song makes you think abou the lyrics and how it was written then to me it has done it's job. People that like to analyze every aspect of a song bore me. Your are the same people that must tilt, swirl, spin, aerate, sniff and then sip your win. Just drink the win and listen to the songs already....
There's a lot of 'noise' that passes for music these days. If you think that Behind the Mask is not worth listening to, please put in any Justin Beiber CD and listen all the way through. You will come back to the Behind the Mask album with a greater appreciation for those who perform, sing and write their own songs.
I liked it more than I thought I would.
I did not think very highly of this album. When I first heard that There was a fleetwood mac album without Lindsey Buckingham that didn't predate 1975, I thought how did this come into existance. but after warming up to the idea a little but, and after listening to the time album (I reviewed that one already) I thought if I could stomach some of the songs on that one, I might as well give this one a listen. and I was actually impressed with what I heard. here are my thoughts on each song.
01. Skies The Limit: (5/5) a song I first heard on the compilation: The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac. and one I liked instantly. but on the album, where it's placed, I thought it was kind of mean. Lindsey left the band, and the album after he's replaced, the very first track says " the Sky is the limit now" I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this or not, I'm pretty sure this was unintentional, But it's something I thought I should point out.
02, Love is Dangerous: (4/5) Rick Vito and Stevie Nicks' Duet song. I liked it. it's one of the more underrated songs. I like the "Rockier" sound it has, for lack of a better word
03. In The Back of My Mind: (4/5) this is one of my favorites from the album. it's well written, and it's Incredably haunting. not to mention it's one I can completely relate to. the only gripe I have with it, is the 2 minute 45 second intro. there's just no real reason for that as far as i can see.
04. Do you know: (4/5) The 1st Burnette/McVie duet. their voices really compliment each other very well when they're singing in unison
05. Save Me: (5/5) The leading simgle of this album. McVie puts some of her best songs on this album. and this is no exception. this song is by far the best of the album.
06. Affairs of the heart: (5/5) I don't know what people have against this song. I love it. I escpecially like the chorus my favorite part is "well it's better to have loved and lost (ah but it's better not to lose)". I love how they just through that in there
07. When The Sun Goes Down: (4/5) I heard it a lot, but I think that's why I like it. at first I wasn't impressed at all. but later I started singing along using Vito's part, And Before long, i was hooked. this song is really catchy, and get's stuck in your head whenever you hear it.
08. Title track (Behind the Mask): (5/5) and extremely haunting ballad, very worthy to share the same name as the album.
09. Stand On The Rock: (3/5) The only track on the album that was solely written by Rick Vito. and honestly it's not that impressive. Granted, it's catchy, just the lyrics of the song not as good as some of the songs' lyrics.
10. Hard Feelings: (4/5) I hated this song the first time I heard it, but I let it grow on me and I am glad I did. if you can get passed the unusually slow (for Fleetwood Mac) tempo, it's a good song, it's a little cold hearted, but like I said, a good song.
11. Freedom: (3/5) I'm not a fan of the country sounding guitar. Fleetwood mac is not a country band, it's not even Country Rock. (and yes I am familiar with the version of "Say You love Me" from The Dance. that's more of a folky bluegrass) I like Stevie's vocals. but that fact is barely keeping it a three star rating.
12. When It Comes To Love: (4/5) the 2nd Burnette/McVie Duet. and another great song. I like this song.
13. The Second Time: (3/5) The final song. and unfortunately, it's badly placed, it would've been a lot better switched with When The Sun Goes Down. this song would've been a 4 star if it weren't the last song on the album.
Overall: (3.75/5) Good album it's better than I expected actually. but Vito, and Burnette were no replacement for Lindsey Buckingham. The album only went Gold, which is really sad. this album was worth Platinum (which thankfully it made in the UK). I just wish this lineup got more praise than what it did. Rolling stone was dead wrong , about Burnette, and Vito being the best thing to happen to Fleetwood mac. but it's still, a good lineup that should've been better praised.
Best Cuts: Save Me, Behind the Mask, Affairs of The Heart, Skies The Limit.
Worst Cuts: Stand on The Rock, Freedom. (Both these songs are still worth listening too.)
An Angel In Black
Even though Buckingham is missing from this album, Rumours fans should still buy this album. The 2 new guys, Rick and Billy bring good songs to the table. The production of this album leaves something to be desired.
Christine was still coming off her great song writing from Tango, and she still has it by the time this album comes around. Skies The Limit and Save Me are both great, easy to listen to pop tracks. She also does a beautiful duet with Billy on When It Comes To Love.
Billy also brings the haunting and unique In The Back Of My Mind, which is a song like no other Mac song.
Stevie isn't in the best state of mind on this album. Affairs Of The Heart is a clunker, but the rocking Love Is Dangerous and Freedom are good.
When it comes down to it, this really is a good album. It's not perfect, and could have been better. But it is well worth your listen.
Behind the Mask
i disagree. i think this is a great Fleetwood Mac album. i loved all the songs and thought the ones written by Stevie and Christine were as good as any past songs they had written. Affairs of the Heart is one of my favorites of Stevie's on this CD. Hard Feelings, In the Back of my Mind and Do You Know, written by Billy and sung as a duet with Christine is a very beautiful song.
Good...less in this case though would have been better.
Lindsey isn't present...but there are some great tracks here. With the 80's at a close this album was hard to like for many people. But I really enjoyed it. Tracks 1-6 are very listenable. This group NEEDS variety in its work and this album is a good example of that. (Say You Will on the other hand shows how too much of a good thing can bog down an album, not really the case HERE though) Skip 7, 11, 12 and this becomes a great album rather than just good. This was the (soldiering on) album and would be the last with Stevie for a long time. Give it a listen.
Not all the great
Don't get me wrong, i love me some Fleetwood Mac, but not this CD. Two good songs, Skies The Limit, and the haunting and best song, Behind The Mask, that is all.